Sunday, October 7, 2007

The Bus Is Leaving

What a weekend. It started off with a show at Cafe du Nord. Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers.





Leslie had seen them a few years ago in Wisconsin, so when she heard they were swinging through town on their latest tour, she was very excited. After she played a few songs for me, I was in.

Once the show started, we made our way up to the front and I developed an instant crush on the drummer. Gorgeous. I was really into his fedora and white t-shirt combo. Afterward, I saw him talking to the Superfan that had stood next to me for most of the show. She had taken about 500 pictures throughout the evening, and when I mentioned to her that she should try it without the flash, she gave me a dirty look. I was trying to help her out, but I don't think she appreciated the tip. She just kept abusing that flash. And now she was taking yet another picture with the drummer...

So I walked over and told him I liked his hat. Superfan gave me another dirty look and walked away. We were joined by Leslie and some other band members, and then he invited us to hang out on the bus. The tour bus. So we followed him through the back entrance looking at each other like, is this really happening?

The bus was impressive. The three of us sat in the back and had a round of PBRs while the rest of the band packed up. I think they may have been a little mad at him for not helping out.

Suddenly, the bus was rumbling beneath us. It was leaving. They had to get on the road to Portland, where they were playing their next show on Friday night. We were invited along, but before I could imagine a weekend in an updated version of Almost Famous, I heard myself saying no. No, we had to get back. Back to our non-bunk beds and immobile homes. And then we were leaving and saying good bye and the bus was leaving. It all happened so quickly.

And that was the beginning of our weekend.

2 comments:

mrn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mrn said...

Portland is beautiful this time of year.

But, me thinks it was the beauty of the boy that was pulling you -- not the promise of a new city to explore. Remember, you're either on the bus or you're off.