Thursday, September 13, 2007

9 to 5


The new job is basically the opposite of the old one. My new company is under a year old, employs less than 50 people, and has very little structure. It's basically a room full of computer nerds and fashionistas(os?) and a warehouse of ridiculously cool clothing. The old one is a $50 billion company with hundreds of thousands of employees, with very structured processes and clear expectations laid out. In the new job, I kind of feel like we're all making it up as we go along. Which is exciting, but can also be frustrating. And although I love the freedom involved with this new venture, part of me misses the security and familiarity of Target.

What the hell am I doing? It's finally hit me. I just jumped off a cliff, and I better learn to fly pretty quick here. Leaving my job at Target was absolutely the most impractical thing I have ever done. But I was following my instincts, and hopefully it will all pay off.

If you ask me, times like these call for a little Cinematherapy. For those of you not familiar with this term, it was made popular by women who read chick lit and watch the WE channel. However, I do think they were on to something. There are certain movies that offer you comfort and validation in some of life's most trying situations.

My prescription for a new career move is either Devil Wears Prada, Working Girl, or Legally Blonde. They give you a nice confidence boost and make you feel like you could cure cancer, AIDS, and world hunger, all within a week, if you put your mind to it. And wear the right outfit.

After a breakup, watch Love Actually. You'll laugh, you'll cry, but in the end you'll ultimately feel happy, and hopeful. Which is exactly what you need.

No matter what kind of dating dilemmas you're experiencing, there are at least two episodes of Sex and the City that you could relate to. Possibly even five or six, depending on the issue at hand. And when you're having an existential crisis, or you just feel like having a lucid dream in which you are a flying cartoon character, watch Waking Life.

There is one movie guaranteed to make you cry. If you're a female, or a male who happens to be extremely in touch with his feelings, it's Steel Magnolia's. If you're a football player, it's Brian's Song.

In the past month, I have watched Devil Wears Prada three times, and Legally Blonde twice. If I owned Working Girl, I probably would have watched that as well. It's been a tough month, with lots to get used to and so many unknown factors in front of me. I'm trying to just go with it, and have faith in myself to come out on top.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are wise beyond your years. You always were. I know you have heard the phrase: "don't look back"
and then again, "what promise does this day hold?"
For some movie jargon, a line from "In Harm's Way" with John Wayne (screen name Rock) offering Patricia Neal a drink and saying he only has whiskey and would she like some water in it. She says in her best Faulkner inspired southern drawl, "sure Rock, but don't drown the whiskey, I'm not a child."