Monday, July 9, 2007

GV was calling me.

Being home is sitting on an ice cold toilet seat. Stepping on pine needles and staring at stars. Watching television in the basement with Dad - wrapped in blankets. Arugula salads, cottage cheese and sesame seed crackers with goat cheese. Falling asleep anywhere because you're so relaxed and the furniture is so comfortable. Watching Evelyn eat fruit, drink Dr. Pepper and recite movie lines. Crossword puzzles, pencils and full cartons of milk on the kitchen table. Wine whenever, delicious food always and love everywhere. Sleeping in my old twin bed with my old comforter and one flat pillow. Early wake up calls. No eye makeup remover or toilet paper but tons of cereal and a nice shampoo selection. Sprinklers on, flowers blooming and trees, trees, trees. Good music playing and fingers typing. Hugs from Mom. The sound of Oscar when he's hungry, Dad snoring and Evelyn's guitar at midnight. Hot baths and fuzzy towels. Coffee with organic 2%. No cell phone reception. Infinite TV channel options. Finding old stuff that could never be thrown away - notes, diaries, pictures. Being home is pacing through halls, in and out of rooms - not being able to sit still out of excitement of being there.

My time in MPLS was relaxing. I connected with people I hadn't connected with in awhile.

I spent time in Cannon Falls with Momma, Wendy, Brent, Hannah and Kitty. Chatted on the porch and ate yummy fish tacos - my new favorite.

Had $1.50 beers at Brewsters and Chuggers.



Saw locals which made Kitty feel awkward.



Had a great 4th of July with weiners, pims, family, friends, dogs and charades.





Went out with the girls. Stopped in to see old coworkers. Hung out with Evelyn. Got 9 books for $7 at the Goodwill. Spent an entire fun-filled day with my beautiful Grandma Nagan. Ate a lot - and even worked out once. Drove around the lakes and did a run through the MOA. Ice skated with the infamous long bladers. Got a pedicure with Mom. The color? Ruby Red.

I'm back in the hottness that is Astoria. Here I've got a tiny fan, a crowded community pool and a small patch of grass with four flowers - nothing like Minneapolis in the summer. But it was a wonderful week and now I've come back fully recharged.

5 comments:

L said...

That makes me homesick.

Hannah said...

ok ... so that picture of kitty is absolutely hilarious. the one of your dad isn't bad either.

it was oh so lovely having you back! can't wait to come and ... well ... maybe stay someday soon.

Anonymous said...

You are such a great writer. I got it.

Unknown said...

Going to Midas...

Nicole Johns said...

Beautiful post, very well written. I'm glad you had a good time at home. :)